Syrian regime slaughters 88 people, including children, opposition says
- Ban Ki-moon: Reports say regime forces and pro-regime militias are behind “massive” human rights violations
- At least 131 people were killed across Syria on Friday, an opposition group says
- It says regime forces shelled the town of Houla before militias “slaughtered entire families in cold blood”
- The Syrian regime reports 16 deaths from Friday and makes no mention of Houla Continue reading
Syrian strife breeds unrest in Lebanon
- Syria’s conflict has spilled into Lebanon, where clashes killed 9 in Tripoli and Beirut
- Lebanon strongly influenced by Syria both politically and militarily since independence in 1943
- There is evidence Syrian rebels are receiving arms smuggled across the Lebanese border
- Many believe Syria’s regime is stirring up violence in Lebanon to distract from their own conflict Continue reading
Zakaria: Iran is weak and getting weaker
There’s not much foreign policy talk on the campaign trail except for one issue – Iran. Everyone is talking about Iran’s new strength and assertiveness – its missile tests, its progress on the nuclear program, its moves in Iraq. Mitt Romney, the…….. Continue reading
The year 2011 was defined by historic events, from regime changes to royal nuptials to financial crises.
- Arab Spring, economy, Japan quake, bin Laden raid define 2011 news events
- Scandals also marred 2011, from absurd (Charlie Sheen) to sordid (Penn State) Continue reading
Thousands march, defy tanks in Syria
- NEW: At least 11 deaths in Homs on Tuesday
- Thousands gathered to protest the regime
- An Arab League official says observers will have free access
- League observers will try to see whether the Syrian regime is ending a brutal crackdown Continue reading
An Israeli navy vessel patrols off the southern port of Ashdod on July 19, 2011.
- NEW: Activists are from different countries
- The ships will be diverted to the Ashdod port, Israel says
- Activists will be transferred to the custody of Israeli authorities
- No resistance was reported Continue reading
National Transitional Council fighters from the Al-Ghiran brigade who captured Libya's strongman Moammar Gadhafi in Sirte.
- Michael Scharf: Gadhafi taken alive but died with bullet to head; rights groups want investigation
- He says Geneva Conventions say that killing combatant after he’s been disarmed a war crime
- Transition government promises probe; this limits international court ‘s options, he says
- Scharf: To get global aid, a new Libya must show it can properly address extrajudicial killings Continue reading
Middle East Oil Falls a Third Day on Slowdown at China Refiners
Middle East oil for sale to Asia fell for a third day after reports that Chinese refineries are slowing runs.
Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas has submitted his bid to the UN for recognition of a Palestinian state.
- President Abbas received a standing ovation as he announced his application to the UN
To rapturous applause in the General Assembly, he urged the Security Council to back a state with pre-1967 borders. Continue reading
A Palestinian woman cries during the speech of President Mahmoud Abbas at the General …
Palestinians cheer moments before their President Mahmoud Abbas addressed the General …
RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — Thousands of jubilant, flag-waving Palestinians, watching on outdoor screens across the West Bank, cheered their president on Friday as he submitted his historic request for recognition of a state of Palestine to the United Nations. Continue reading