The year 2011 was defined by historic events, from regime changes to royal nuptials to financial crises.
- Arab Spring, economy, Japan quake, bin Laden raid define 2011 news events
- Scandals also marred 2011, from absurd (Charlie Sheen) to sordid (Penn State) Continue reading
Roland Martin says sex is a fact of life and schools should offer factual information on it as part of a curriculum
- NYC should be commended for mandating sex education, Roland Martin says
- Safe sex and abstinence must be dealt with in an educational setting, he says
- Martin: While abstinence is definitely safest, we have to accept reality. Continue reading
Occupy Wall Street demonstrators at Zuccotti Park in downtown New York City this week.
- Douglas Rushkoff : Occupy Wall Street not protest as much as protoype for new way of living
- He says Occupy’s camps are hardworking congresses with consensus-building approach
- He says they can beta test ideas on issues such as a complementary currency
- Rushkoff: When we begin to considers Occupy’s ideas, we become “occupiers” ourselves Continue reading
New York City could lose 10,000 financial securities jobs by the end of 2012, according to the state comptroller.
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — The New York state comptroller expects Wall Street to lose 10,000 jobs by the end of 2012.
The job losses are projected to occur in New York City’s securities industry from now through December, 2012, according to Eric Sumberg, press spokesman for state comptroller Thomas DiNapoli. Continue reading